Thursday, May 27




Fossils

For a long time I've been curious about fossils
and as often seems to happen to me, my camera follows
my interests. It's as if my photography
is about my life, not my life about my photography.

Considering the number of times that I have
attempted photographing
fossils the pickings have been very slim.

Here I am today, working again on the subject.
Again, just not enough grunt to the photo.
It's good to keep picking up the camera though,
it's like practising scales.

The top fossil,
between 3.1 and 3.2 million
years old,
was found last Saturday
in a cliff on the Taranaki coast, about an hour
south of here. I was on a geological society
field trip to the area. We studied the cliffs
over a 2 or 3 kilometre stretch. They are notable
because they illustrate much of the geological
history of this area.

This is not a fossil at all, but a scallop
that I cast in lead some years ago.