Saturday, August 8


Seaman's Rest

I've been writing about how my father took some photos of the New Plymouth port area in the late 30's. The photographs have real historical value and files of the images are in the museum here.

In the upper photo the building is the Seaman's Rest. I always liked that name. I'm not sure if it's still there because since September 11th it's become much harder for the public to gain access to this area.

There are several photographs of ships. There would be people here who would able to identify all of them I would imagine and this work might follow. There is no name visible on this ship for example and it would be interesting to know more.

A few of the images show a naval vessel. A friend told me that there are in existence some photographs taken of a submarine visiting during this same period. I don't know who took them but I would like to see them.


Add Image