Wednesday, April 29


Central

Central Stories, the museum in Alexandra, Central Otago, where I lived for the last year, has, in its collection, this wooden grinder, perhaps it wasn't a grinder at all, perhaps it was for making butter, I'm not sure. However in my imagination, I would like to think that it was for turning wheat into flour in order to make bread.

I photographed it two or three times over a few months but usually from further back.

The handle in the base of the device was fun to turn. It made the wooden section on the left of this image rotate, while simultaneously the base turned in a contrary direction. I found it riveting to watch. I even liked the sound it made.

I'm sorry that I have only this one photo left, but it was the last, and I think, the best, bread or butter!