Monday, November 3

The Heat is On
The temperature in this region is beginning to climb so yesterday I sought refuge in the cool of this small forest on the edge of town. An added attraction is that the forest also contains a large collection of irises, many of which are beginning to flower.

Today I visited this waterfall.


PS Today I decided to add this postscript because I've had locals who, after visiting my website, are now asking me where the waterfall is. They are puzzled because they have never heard of any waterfall in this area.

The answer is that it is formed by water spilling over the Lower Manorburn dam, about 10 minutes drive from Alexandra. The dam is a part of the social history of this town because the lake that it forms during cold winters, not this one just past, freezes over sufficiently for ice skating to take place.