Sunday, March 16


Gold Fever

Alexandra, where I am living is a town to a large extent built on gold fever.
While early methods of extraction were of relatively low ecological impact, eventually large dredges were built. These dredges sifted through large areas, leaving rocky tailings which are now a feature of much of the land around here, though many on them now hidden by willows and poplars.

The dredge in the photo above was one of the largest and one of the last to operate in the area, not ceasing work until the early 50's. I like the way it looks like something from 'Alien'. The photo is from the Turnbull Library. I wish I'd taken it.

Some of the tailings a few minutes away from where I live are a reserve, they can be seen in the Google Earth image below. The river is the Clutha.


I have been walking over the tailings hoping that somewhere in there is a photograph.
I took several images, an example is below, but so far no luck. I think that I need more
elevation.