Sunday, July 1

Jervois Road

I took this photo in about 1989. It's Jervois Road in Auckland, where Ponsonby meets Herne Bay, where Curran Street leads to the harbour bridge. Although it wasn't the reason that I took the photo, I do notice that the shape of Jervois Rd reminds me of NZ. The neatness of the rows of houses is also very interesting to me.

Twice I chartered a small plane, with pilot, to fly me over some parts of Auckland. By having him fly as slowly as possible, and by bracing myself against the wind I was able to put my camera out the window and take some images. I don't that I've ever published this one.

At the time I thought how much they reminded me of the Whites Aviation images that were such a feature of walls when I was young. Below are some of their c1952 photos of Auckland Central, and Waiheke Island, grey prints rather badly scanned on my failing scanner, unfortunately. Remember that if you click on these images you will be able to see more detail.

An overwhelming impression that the photos leave, is of a treeless land, of the hills having been scraped clean.

Here is Ostend, Waiheke Island, now so much more verdant.