Friday, March 23


ABC
Yesterday a large thick envelope arrived from a friend in Kansas. It was crammed with American newspaper cuttings. One that particularly caught my eye was a review from The New York Times of an exhibition of a photographic ABC. Neil Winokur (b1945) has been working on these since the early 90s. In the cutting we have A and H.

About 20 years ago I started making an ABC book. I have A for Alligator. I haven't completely given up on the project but it definitely seems to have stalled. Perhaps I should have another look.

A problem, I found, was not only making photos that represented the letter, but creating 26 photos that matched each other. Some photos that I had for letters jarred with their neighbours. I wasn't thinking of this ABC book as being for children alone.

Below is the image that I made for
X.