Monday, February 26


Russian Submarine

When in the 90's, latter part, I was visiting Sydney from New Zealand, on a regular basis, I took this photo.

On one of my trips, I went to a maritime museum in Sydney Harbour. On view was a Russian submarine that had been bought by someone with good taste after the collapse of Communism, although I don't know who. I could be wildly wrong here but I think that they were for sale for $US250,000. My understanding was that it was one of fleet kept in Vladivostok, and used to patrol the Pacific. I went on a detailed tour of the Sydney one and I recommend it to anyone.

Again Im relying on my memory here, but my current understanding is that there were 17 of these submarines based there, and that were used to patrol the Pacific. There were rumours that they went through Cook Strait, although I know no facts.