Wednesday, January 17

(click on the column above and it will come up in a larger, more readable form.)

State of the Visual Arts in New Zealand.

The above was published in the Listener in the week before Christmas. Written by Aaron Kreisler, it is one of the first published pieces in a long time, that I have read that discusses the state of the visual arts in NZ. On a meta level, asking questions about what is really going on. It even raises a question about the quality of curators in this country, a question rarely whispered, let alone put on a page. I commend him for his courage. He gives me much needed heart especially as what I see in the art world in NZ is demoralising me, more seriously than in the 30 years that art has been my life. Today it gave me great pleasure to be able to thank Aaron in person.