Tuesday, December 12




Kaka Beak

While at Primary School, one of the biggest influences on me were the School Journals, which arrived perhaps two three times a year. They were remarkable publications, filled with writing and illustrations by our very best.

One contributor whose work made a big impression on me was E. Mervyn Taylor. The woodcuts had a lot of presence I felt, like this image of a Kaka Beak, although some I liked more than others of course. I came from a home that had very few books, there was no TV then, and the two primary schools that I went to had no libraries, so the importance of these Journals was heightened.

The colour photo of Kaka Beak is one that I made last year. It's planted it in my garden.

There has recently been a book published about his work, called E.Mervyn Taylor. Artist:Craftsman.
by Bryan James pub Steele Roberts.I recommend it. It's an attractive book with a great deal of material about the art scene in NZ at the time.