Tuesday, February 1

Pukeiti

Much of New Plymouth is built on land
only a few metres above the original beach
sea level.

From the CBD the slope gains steepness,
exponentially as the road comes closer to the summit of
Mt Taranaki which even now, in the height
of summer I can see from my home still has patches
of snow. It's cold up there.

One advantage of this climate is that as I leave my driveway,
turn right and point my car towards the mountain's summit,
the altitude rises and the vegetation changes
accordingly.

It amuses my friends to see addresses such as mine
which says Lower Vogeltown. There are many
Upper and Lower roads and streets here in Taranaki,
It makes sense because of the pointy nature of this Province.

What Taranaki offers plants is a slight nip in the air,
reminiscent of the Himalaya's for some flora of which
Rhododendrons, Azaleas are two, both in the photo above.